Friday, July 11

And so it begins.....partial bedrest

Due to insurance complications, I was forced to move to another high-risk clinic and a different hospital. My first appointment was Wednesday and although it went okay my new doctor is not nearly as proactive or concerned as my last doctor was. I pretty much have to tell this doctor what I want to have happen and he is reluctantly consenting to certain procedures. Therefore, I am taking matters into my own hands as much as I can. I have been having cramps for the last two weeks off and on, and though my doctor does not think it is necessary, my older and wiser sister convinced me today that I must start at least a partial bedrest. I know she's right, but the hardest thing about deciding to do it is knowing what it will require of my husband and our families to keep our house running and Maggie occupied. For now, partial bedrest means that I will only get up on my feet when absolutely necessary and only for 10 minutes at a time. Also, no more lifting Maggie, shopping, or doing activities that keep me on my feet for more than 10 minutes. Thankfully I can still take care of myself and Maggie enough to not need live-in help. We'll see how it goes! I am 21 weeks today and am now facing the red zone between 21 and 27 weeks. Does anyone have any really great suggestions for books I should read? I would love to get lost in a big book that I can't put down. Wish me luck! I'll be going to complete bedrest if my cramps don't stop in the next few days. I would also love advice from anyone who has spent time on bedrest.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you've read any Jane Austen books (and liked them) you need to read Austenland by Shannon Hale. I couldn't put it down, but it'll only take a day or two to read. I also love all of Stephenie Meyer's books (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and The Host). If you don't know anything about them, send me an email. The Alliance by Gerald Lund is one of my all-time favorites. Let me know if you need any more suggestions.... I'll be praying for you. Take it easy!!

Anonymous said...

Ii like the twilight books-if you haven't already read them. I also like the series called The Belgariad and the one after it called The Malorean. I also like the ones Dean Hughes wrote similar to work and glory except during ww2. I Think they're called the hearts of the children. I wish I lived closer so I could help with maggie. I know how frustrating it can be to be down and not able to do things. The one thing I wish I would've had during bedrest (I know have but would've loved then) is a Nintendo DS. There are a lot of educational games that are so fun on there.

Gena said...

This is Spencer. You might have already read this one but it is my favorite. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas.

Woodstock Family said...

Afton, I wish I lived closer, I would definitely come and help clean or just take Maggie off your hands. That's got to be tough on you! I do have a good reading suggestion though! I thought I would never read these books, but after much prodding from my husband I started them and I can't put them down. They are a fantasy series by Robert Jordan, the first book is called "The Eye of the World" and I think it's the Wheel of Time series!! I bet you'd love them! I guess you won't make it to the family reunion in August huh? I'm so sad I won't be able to see you guys! I was really looking forward to it! I really need to make a trip down there to see you! Good luck Krista

Kati said...

All of Shannon Hale's books are fantastic. My favorites are Goose Girl (which has two books that follow it in a series) and Princess Academy. The Secret Life of Bees is a cute book. I also liked The Thirteenth Tale (both of these do have some language, but it wasn't terrible). I just sent you an invite to goodreads, where you can see what other people have been reading and get book reviews and stuff. Good luck!

Nebraska Cottrell's said...

The Mircle of Forgiveness is good one. Hope all goes well.